Inspired by Virginia gardens and Mount Vernon, homeowners asked Plant-A-Plant to create similar ones on their Leesburg property. Landscape designer Lisbeth Prins conceived a plan for a series of gardens. A pleasure garden features a lawn framed by crape myrtle. A path of pea gravel bordered by boxwood divides it from another garden partitioned by holly. A lower tier, separated by a 30-inch-high wall of stone excavated from the site, contains a vegetable garden. An octagonal garden house is modeled on one at Mount Vernon.
The hardscape contains large-format elements such as 100-by-125-by seven-and-a-half-foot-tall garden walls built using handmade Jefferson Oversize Bricks in a Flemish bond pattern similar to The Governor’s Palace in Williamsburg.
- A tiered, brick-walled garden leads to the house
- Views from the house extend through the garden gates
- Garden rooms are divided by disease-resistant boxwood, dry-stack stone walls and perennials
- A homemade blend of soil amendments completes the vegetable garden
- All herbaceous perennials and herbs in the garden have medicinal value and are native to Virginia
Plant-A-Plant is a full-service landscape company specializing in custom residential design/build since 1982. With 35 years’ experience, our knowledgeable staff can tailor a maintenance program to your new garden or the garden you have.
25283 Lightridge Farm Road, Aldie, Virginia 20105
703-327-6844 — plantaplant.com