Fall 2006 High Point Market
The American’s new Mission LineFall 2006 High Point Market
Interior designer Sarah Boyer Jenkins scouts the Fall 2006 High Point International Furniture Market for stand-outs hitting local showrooms this spring
1. Harden commissioned designer Ron Cosser to create America’s New Mission line, which evokes the Arts & Crafts period. This limited-edition collection in quarter-sawn white oak and cherry is built from the company’s 20,000 acres of renewable forests in Central New York. Outstanding in the mix is this multi-tasking desk/work station that, when closed, presents a cupboard effect to hide the clutter. Decorative elements recall William Morris’s wallpaper designs. Call (315) 245-1000 or visit www.harden.com.
2. Maria Yee’s new Tiburon collection combines clean, contemporary lines with, in the designer’s words, “fun new curves.” One of seven pieces in the line, this walnut hardwood console is constructed using traditional joinery techniques. Maria Yee exceeds all government environmental standards in the materials it uses and does not harvest tropical species. Available at Ella Scott Design in Bethesda or visit www.mariayee.com.
3. Congo is a new eco-chic furniture collection made from solid, plantation-grown mango wood. This Congo bed boasts turned legs and bedposts in a polished walnut finish. Call (866) 654-9433 or visit www.fourhands.com.
4. Lee Industries debuted an environmentally friendly collection of upholstered products called Natural Lee. This comfortable armchair incorporates a soy-based foam cushion core, water-based wood finishes and recycled fiber made from clear/white plastic bottles. Available at Shofer’s Furniture in Baltimore or visit www.leeindustries.com.
5. Palecek, whose wood materials come only from trees that are not endangered, introduces the Palisades collection: a dining room table and Regency-inspired chairs in solid, plantation-grown mahogany with a veneer top and a chocolate brown finish. Call (800) 274-7730 or visit www.palecek.com for more information.
Make a design statement with these stylish new products
1. Baker adds a new line of lighting to its Collector’s Edition, which includes this painted Chinoiserie accent lamp. It features a floral motif that was inspired by handpainted 18th-century wallpaper. Call (800) 592-2537 or visit the Web site www.bakerfurniture.com.
2. Bernhardt introduces the latest line from Martha Stewart Signature Furniture: the Katonah Collection. It includes this Chinoiserie secretary that houses an entire home office behind a stunning, Asian-inspired decorative exterior. Call (888) 562-7842 or visit www.marthastewart.com.
3. Designer Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz has developed the new Metropolitan Home Collection. These versatile pieces include this Parallel dining table in citrine anigre with a split-pedestal base and a distinctive dark chocolate finish. Visit www.methomecollection.com.
The Children’s Furniture Boom
A number of furniture heavyweights, including La-Z-Boy and Stickley, have entered the juvenile market. Here are a couple of colorful finds…
Young America offers a bunk bed, an activity desk, a nightstand and more in myHaven, the company’s newest line of children’s furniture. Each of the 30 pieces in this collection is available in any of 20 colors and wood finishes. Call (276) 627-2540 or visit youngamerica.stanleyfurniture.com.
The Build-A-Bear Workshop Collection allows children to customize their own bedrooms. Created with input from children, parents and designers, the set includes beds, mirrors, chests and nightstands. Chests of drawers have a special teddy-bear niche (left). Call (877) 789-2327 or visit www.buildabear.com.
A new take on the timeless shag rug, Classic Home’s Shaggy Leather Rug is fabricated with strips of spaghetti-cut leather. Available in earthy colors such as dark brown, dark red, tan and white. Call (323) 264-7017 or visit www.classichomefurnishings.com.
More High Point Debuts
Oscar de la Renta’s new radial dining table is arranged in a breathtaking six-pointed star pattern. Designed for Century Furniture, this table stores its leaves in an innovative pedestal that is both functional and decorative. Call (828) 328-1851 or visit www.centuryfurniture.com.
Tiburon by Maria Yee
Congo from Four Hands
Lee Industries Natural Lee line
Palisades collection from Palecek.
Baker’s new Collector’s Edition lighting.
The Katonah Collection from Martha Stewart
Metropolitan Home Collection
myHaven from La-Z-Boy
Build-A-Bear Workshop collection
Shaggy Leather Rug from Classic Home
Radial Dining Table from Oscar de la Renta for Century
Stanley’ Furniture’s Family Communications Center