Thinking about building a custom home? As you begin the planning phase, you’ll want to research what’s new in custom-home design. Below, Jonathan Lerner, CEO of Meridian Homes, lists trends on the rise in the DC area.
- Living Less Large—High-quality finishes are more important than extra square footage. And smaller homes cost less to maintain over time.
- Cutting-Edge—Clients today expect the latest technology. Factor in home-tech systems early so you’ll have the infrastructure you need over time.
- Eco-Friendly—Homeowners are embracing a whole-house approach to sustainability, from energy efficiency to air quality to the use of green and recycled materials.
- Back to Nature—Outdoor living spaces are in—complete with kitchens, swimming pools, sport courts and fireplaces or fire pits for when the weather turns cooler.
- Open Plan—These days, open kitchen/breakfast/family room spaces are commonplace.
- Spa Time—The master bath is a luxurious retreat with a freestanding soaking tub and a roomy shower.
- Kitchen Karma—High-functioning kitchens include work stations, oversized islands and separate pantries.